Saturday, January 15, 2011

America! America!

I never thought I was never much of a traveler – I didn’t go seriously overseas until I was well into my thirties – but I’ve made up for lost time, visiting 29 countries on five continents. It’s been fun, fascinating and fucking scary.

The wife and I’s first glorious five-year-plan ends next month, when we go to California, Monument Valley and Vegas. I’m absolutely terrified about driving on the wrong side of the road, and people with guns, and the sheer bigness of it all.

But that’s what traveling is all about – doing things that scare you. Well, that, and going to comic book shops.

The last trip overseas was a bizarre experience in comic hunting, but the this one will be better, and I’m already giddy at the thought of all those lovely, lovely comic shops.

There are some that I’m can not miss. I’ve been reading blogs by Mike Sterling and Brian Hibbs for so long that I’ve got to put a reality on the image of their stores that I’ve got in my head. (I'm not expecting any correlation between this mental image and the real thing.)

But there are also ones that I’m hoping to stumble across, and I’m willing to take any suggestions on any other comic shops anybody could recommend. I’m particularly interested in stores that are full of weird old stuff, rather than anything shiny or new, but I’ll take any suggestions.

So if you know of any good comic shops in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas or anywhere in-between that are worth checking out, please leave a comment or drop me an email at bobtemuka at hotmail.com.

Suggestions for good restaurants, cinemas or anything else worth mentioning are also welcome.

2 comments:

G.G. said...

I've been wanting to go to Isotope in San Francisco for years. I hear that is one awesome shop.

Jesse Farrell said...

Yeah, if you're in San Francisco I highly recommend The Isotope. If proprietor James Sime is in, ask him if he'll tell you the story about the girl who looked like Ian Gibson drew her.

If you were on the East Coast, well, there would be dozens of shops I'd recommend, including the one I manage.