Sunday, March 15, 2009

Don't care

The weird and wonderful world of comics is like any medium, full of odd little controversies and big heated arguments. Some of these things are so ridiculously trivial, they make us all look bad. Others have a direct bearing on the future of the entire profession and ask fundamental questions about its possibilities.

Unfortunately, despite the best of intentions, I find myself unable to give a flying fuck about the following:

* The fate of Scans Daily.

* The price of Kramers Ergot

* Statues of Mary Jane

* How to get kids reading comics

* What’s going to happen to webcomics

* Anything to do with Diamond

* What last weekend at the box office means.

* The definition of graphic novels. (What’s so fucking bad about calling them comics?)

* Bookscan numbers

* The political controversy that spits up every time a newspaper cartoonist draws something remotely dodgy

* The debate over variant covers. (There is no debate, they are retarded.)

* Pulping comics over something that isn¹t even remotely dodgy

* Boycotting a title. For any reason.

* Pictures that show tentacles in close proximity to a woman’s breasts

* Company insiders offering juicy tips

* Who is going to play your favourite comic character in the upcoming movie

I like comics that make me laugh and think. I don't care about anything that does not result in this. Neither should you.

1 comment:

Matthieu Gagné said...

"I like comics that make me laugh and think. I don't care about anything that does not result in this. Neither should you."

Amen !